Faith and Fear...

Trust and Doubt...

Ups and Downs...

A God that still performs miracles...

A 1-pound baby girl and 3-pound baby boy...

This is our story; this is our life.


In the race of life, God our heavenly Father has come alongside us through the person of the Holy Spirit. And

~when we think we can't go one more step,

~when the race becomes painful beyond endurance,

~when our hearts feel heavy,

~when our minds become dull,

~when our spirits are burned out,

we have the comforter who comes alongside us, puts His everlasting arms around us, and gently walks with us.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Rash Decisions

Well. Yesterday was fun. (Insert sarcastic sigh here). It was one of those days where you think, "I'll probably look back on this and laugh one day"....Happy to report, that day is today. I'm over it. It's all good. Here's how it all went down. 

Both babies were taking their morning nap as usual. Around 10:45, Dylan woke up screaming, and I mean S-C-R-E-A-M-I-N-G! This is so unlike him, that I ran in there and swooped him up and tried to comfort him. He was squeezing and hanging on to my neck so tight. I thought maybe he had a bad dream....Anyway, I could smell him...he needed a dipe change. When I laid him down to change him, he flipped out on me and tears were flowing like I've never seen....When I opened the diaper, I saw why. He had a retched diaper rash that was bright red all over his little body. He was hurting so bad and he did NOT want me to change him. So after a battle that resulted in me sweating and having a big mess all over the place, I finally got him calm. This was a rash that no amount of Desitin or Boudreaux's Butt Paste was going to solve. He was still a little fussy, so I gave him some juice to calm him down. After they both woke and ate lunch, I needed to change him again....This time, worse. Very. Dirty. Very. Messy. Like, all-up-his-back, dirty. He was reallly, upset. This drama was happening right around 12:30. I put a call in to my pediatrician's office (and of course they are closed from 12 - 1 for lunch). On to Plan B. A call in to my friend Melody. Her little boy has recently had a diaper rash and I wanted to know what I should do. She suggested that I take his diaper off and let him crawl around dipe-less. Ummmm.....yes, I know. There are risks involved with this decision. But, it needs to air out/dry out to heal. 

Soooo, off comes the diaper. That only lasted aprox 30 minutes before he had peed twice, once all over the couch, and once all over the leather toy box ottoman. Then, made his way over to the corner by the swing and proceeded to, ehem, go #2 all over the floor. Yeah, that totally happened. The irony is he messed all over his 'dump truck' that he got for his birthday. (a little immature humor for ya). 

Meanwhile, I'm going to get towels to clean him as he has now slipped in it and is covered from his waist all the way to his feet. His curious little sister was anxious to see all the excitement so she crawled right over to it to join the fun. Thankfully, my ninja like reflex mom skills allowed me to grab her with my right arm and throw a towel down on the floor with my left. Crisis averted. 

I got the mess cleaned up and then hosed off Dylan. As I'm cleaning him, I'm trying to keep one eye on Kaylan who has crawled right under my feet and hanging on to my leg while Dylan stands in the kitchen sink splashing water everywhere. Well, he wasn't so much splashing as he was trying to block me from spraying the water on him. I've got one arm on him and the other on the faucet hose. He was crying the whole time cause he was hurting. So, that was enough "airing it out time" for me....the diaper was going back ON. My pediatrician's nurse called back and called in a prescription cream for him and suggested that we lay off of fruits and JUICE (see earlier paragraph where I had given him JUICE!) Ugh, bad mom. I didn't know!

Landon went and picked up the prescription after work. On a VERY bright and THANKFUL note, our deductible has been met and therefore we did NOT have to pay the $284.99 for a DIAPER RASH CREAM. That's right, I said TWO HUNDRED EIGHT FOUR DOLLARS and NINETY NINE CENTS! WHAATTT??? I'm quite positive that Landon would have had a small heart attack at the Walgreen drive-thru pharmacy had we been required to pay this. This better be a MIRACLE cream and he better never get a diaper rash AGAIN! That's just insane that any medicine would cost that much. But I digress. I'm happy to report that the cream does seem to be working -- quickly. The rash is still there, but he's much more tolerable for us to change his diaper. Hoping it clears up by the weekend. 

Update on Kaylan -- the last TWO nights she has slept ALLL NIGHT LONG! YAY! We are so excited about this. We've been doing a little sleep training with her the past few days and it's WORKING. Google really knows what it's talking about ;-) ...oh and Dr. Ferber. :) 

Looking forward to the weekend...and really looking forward to Landon having a day off tomorrow so we can all spend the day together. 

Despite the mess Dylan made all over our house yesterday, isn't this the cutest little caboose you've ever seen? 


Melody said...

Jen, this picture makes it all worth it. :-) Love this chunky man! You're such a good mama. They're so lucky to have you!

Janet said...

Bless you! What a day. You are Super-mom and you can do anything. This will be a funny story to tell them when they get older.