Welcome

THIS IS THE REAL LIFE DOCUMENTARY OF....

Faith and Fear...

Trust and Doubt...

Ups and Downs...

A God that still performs miracles...

A 1-pound baby girl and 3-pound baby boy...

This is our story; this is our life.

**************************************

In the race of life, God our heavenly Father has come alongside us through the person of the Holy Spirit. And

~when we think we can't go one more step,

~when the race becomes painful beyond endurance,

~when our hearts feel heavy,

~when our minds become dull,

~when our spirits are burned out,

we have the comforter who comes alongside us, puts His everlasting arms around us, and gently walks with us.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pulmonary A-whata?

Pulmonary Edema and Respirtory Acidosis. (Now say that five times fast). That's the latest on little Kaylan...So what is it and what does it mean? Well, a Pulmonologist came to see her on Monday (that's a pediactric lung doctor). They ordered a chest x-ray to see if they could see why she was still needing the oxygen. The x-ray came back showing that the lungs looked a little "hazy" or "wet" as he called it. When he examined her, he still heard Kaylan's heart murmer and said he suspected that blood was flowing from left to right and spilling into the lungs a little bit causing them to be "wet" or "hazy" -- better known as pulmonary edema. He ordered an EKG (heart sonogram) for Kaylan to see if his suspicions were correct about the murmer/PDA. The EKG was reviewed by a cardiologist who said that she still has a large to moderate PDA (open duct in the heart that should be closed by now). Soooo....now, they have started Kaylan on three medications - 1) a diuretic that will make her pee and poop a lot and get rid of some of the fluid in her body and on her lungs. 2) Prevacid for Acid Reflux (FINALLY - I've been begging for this one) and 3) a steriod inhalent called Flovent to help with inflamation of her lungs (it's very similar to an asthma medication) - it comes in an inhaler. They put a little mask over nose and mouth and puff the inhaler in her mouth and into her lungs. This will help with the respirtory acidosis whereby she's not getting rid of all the CO2 in her lungs when she breathes out.

With these three changes we're REALLY hoping we will start to see some big improvements in feeding AND breathing. The downside is the diuretic will make her lose weight. Additionally, this PDA and heart murmer is not good either. She'll continue to be followed by a cardiologist and could eventually need surgery if the valve does not close up. But we'll cross that bridge if and when we get there.

She's currently 5 lbs 14 oz.....soooo close to that 6 lb mark. Dylan had a dr appt last Friday and he's 9 lbs 10 oz!! Whoa! He's a biggin'.

Some lyrics from one of my favorite worship song are heavy on my mind today: "I believe You're my Healer. I believe You are all I need.....You hold my world in Your hands"

Here's a few new pics of both kiddies.

4 comments:

Aunt Sas said...

Your babies are beautiful and so is your faith...

"I believe You're my Healer. I believe You are all I need.....You hold my world in Your hands"

Amen and Amen

Unknown said...

It's a strange situation to find yourself in when you're relieved to hear that your child has medically recognized issues. But it's so true: praise God! Maybe you'll start getting fewer shoulder shrugs and more explanations. And with these new meds, maybe even some progress! Love you guys.

Nash Family said...

I know we don't know each other, but I got your blog address from a friend at church. As a mother and a former NICU/PICU nurse my heart breaks for all that you are going through and I know you must feel so torn. I just want to thank you for being so real in your blog and expressing all your feelings. You guys seem like such an amazing family and I love that you are willing to admit there is good with the bad and that sometimes life isn't fun. I will be praying for both your precious kiddos!

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo glad they FINALLY put her on the prevacid, that should really help. It helped Preston immensely, and so quickly he was able to eat and keep his bottles down. Brandon had a murmur and PDA (that small hole in his heart) until he was 1 yr. old, then it finally closed up. I know it's different with Kaylan and I will be praying for that hole to close up. Still praying for her daily :) Kim