Welcome

THIS IS THE REAL LIFE DOCUMENTARY OF....

Faith and Fear...

Trust and Doubt...

Ups and Downs...

A God that still performs miracles...

A 1-pound baby girl and 3-pound baby boy...

This is our story; this is our life.

**************************************

In the race of life, God our heavenly Father has come alongside us through the person of the Holy Spirit. And

~when we think we can't go one more step,

~when the race becomes painful beyond endurance,

~when our hearts feel heavy,

~when our minds become dull,

~when our spirits are burned out,

we have the comforter who comes alongside us, puts His everlasting arms around us, and gently walks with us.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Fearfully and Wonderfully Made"

Today was another busy day of NICU visits with family and visitors flowing in and out. Dylan and Kaylan are both stable and I fell a little further in love. We definitely have a long, bumpy road ahead, but Landon and I are choosing to celebrate life at this very moment. I did a few more diaper changes today but that's about the most interaction I have with each of them. We won't be able to hold them for awhile...don't really know yet how long "awhile" will be. We thought we would be scared to look at the babies - especially Kaylan since she's so tiny, but we find that we can't look at her enough! She's perfect and beautiful and is "fearfully and wonderfully made." So is Dylan. He has these long fingers and toes and we can already tell he's going to be tall and thin like Landon. They both have their little face goggles on as well as the CPAP oxygen tubes in their noses so we don't really get good looks at their faces. But we know that underneath all that garb is a perfect, little kissable face. Kaylan struggled a little bit with her feedings so they are going to just feed her through IV's and manage her nutrition that way. Dylan's feedings have increased although he spit up his entire dinner tonight so he might need to take a little slower too. They have such tiny little organs and we just continue to pray for God's healing hand to ever so gently touch them and grow them into strong babies.

My mom stayed with me last night. We had a good night of rest without the joy of IV's, epidurals and drips beeping in my ear all night. My mom has been so amazing during this time. She has been the perfect amount of available. We're so thankful for all that both our parents have done for us. They've been so diligent in prayers and support and we've been able to be their kids and let them love on us as we take on this new role of being parents. It's been a really special time. Landon's parents came in town Friday and will be leaving tomorrow. They were able to visit a few times and see their new little grandbabies. So glad they were able to be here. 

Today was the first day I think I let my guard down a little bit and let the tears flow some. I think I've been "on" since Friday and it felt good to just let Landon hold me and cry on his shoulder for awhile tonight. Now the emotional seal has been broken and the tears are flowing a little more often - but it feels good to get it out. I'm getting nervous about being discharged on Tuesday. I know that will be a really difficult time to leave our babies here. My head knows that they are in the right place, well taken care of and that they are in the best care possible. My heart is a little slower to accept that rationale.

I know so many of you have been invested in our babies and we can't wait for the world to meet them! Please continue to pray for us and the babies. As we approach Tuesday (discharge day), please pray for extra peace for us as we leave this hospital empty handed.

I cannot continue to express how thankful we are for all the support we've received. There had to have been at least 35 people up here on Friday just waiting for their arrival. Unbelievable!

Landon and I are going to spend some time on our knees tonight for our little ones. Hope you'll do the same :) Love to you all.

Jen, Landon, Dylan and Kaylan ;)

7 comments:

Jill Mathews Willis said...

I'm up feeding my girls & decided to check on the blog. I'm so glad that the babies are doing okay. I want to share some of my NICU experience when it's relevant so I hope it helps. Both of my girls had a very hard time tolerating their feedings. For the first week or so, neither of them was given any milk - they received all of their nutrition through the ivs. It is very "two steps forward, one step back" with their little bellies. My girls were both both taken completely off their milk more than once & put back on full iv. Do you live close to the hospital? Being discharged was very difficult for me. I cried & cried - and I was just moving from my hospital room to an rv in the parking lot across the street. I think that move was my first real parental urge to protect my babies. You are right though - they are in the best possible hands. I will continue to pray for the babies' health & strength, and I will pray like crazy for peace for you. I hope my experience helps a little - it was so nice when we were going through it to hear from other people who had similar experiences. Take care & get some rest.

Robin T. said...

Hi Mom & Dad, So happy the babies are doing well! We are praying diligently for all of you and can't wait for the first "cousins" pictures w/ McKenna! Love you all! Robin Teakell

katiek32 said...

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

Susan Wetzel said...

Jennifer, you do not know me. Landon may remember me as Mrs. Wetzel from Devonian. I am a friend of Maco's. She has been visiting with me about your pregnancy. My daughter's pregnany a few years ago was much like yours, Jen. Her name is alos Jennifer. Her babies were born at 27+1. 2 pounds each. She was in Maryland. I spent a lot of time with her and the babies and the NICU. Jill is right, 2 steps forward and 1 back. We were told it would be a rollercoaster as it is for all in the NICU. We are praying for you and will continue keeping up with your blog. Tkae one day at a time and rejoice in all triumphs. Landon, I am so thrilled to read your posts and realize how ell you have grown up. You are both going to grow through this period of time. God is good and he's faithful, carrying us when we think we can't go on. The babies are beautiful!! I can't stop looking at the pics. Brings back many memories for me.
Susan Wetzel

Anonymous said...

Oh Discharge Day! Yes, it will be hard-I won't lie! But you are right-they are in a great place and well taken care of each second. Remember, this is your time to rest, heal, and prepare your home for them to come home!!! Set a routine for yourself-Brad and I alternated times to go up there as well as time together so that the babies were with one of us as much as possible without both of us being worn out completely.
I remember being up there once without him and we still hadn't held Garrett. Well, all of the sudden they said they were going to transfer his bed or something silly and that I would be able to hold him in the interim...OH MY GOODNESS-I flipped out crying, Brad was up there in minutes it seemed like, and it was the BEST thing ever to get to hold him! The time will come and I can't wait for you to soak them up in your arms!!! Love you guys and the babies! Praying, praying, praying!!!!
Meredith

Lainie Gore Thomas said...

We are praying for you and your little ones.
Lainie Thomas
First Euless, Worship Ministry

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the arrival of your sweet babies such precious souls. We are so glad that prayer was answered and they are here!!
We are continuing to pray for all of you.
In Christian Love
Jane and Henry